From January 15 through March 15, LSAC will be joined by law schools across the country to observe DiscoverLaw.org Months, a yearlong initiative targeted to students from racial and ethnic groups underrepresented in the legal profession.
LSAC will provide grants to member law schools to demonstrate to high school and early college students why the world does need another lawyer. Your law school is eligible for a maximum of $2,750 to program events that address early outreach, awareness, and preparation aimed at the target audience. The LSAC Diversity Committee and the Board of Trustees hope that law schools will take advantage of this opportunity to extend outreach efforts, within their local area or state, to minority students in high school, community college, and the first two years of undergraduate school.
- Develop event programming that addresses early outreach, awareness, motivation, and preparation for law school.
- Register students at DiscoverLaw.org.
- Provide information about the DiscoverLaw.org website to students.
Racially and ethnically diverse students who are in high school, community college, or the first two years of undergraduate school.
To qualify for the first $1,000, your law school must schedule the first event between January 15 and March 15.
After you've completed the first event during this time period, your law school becomes eligible to receive additional funds for similar programming until December 31 of the same year.
Law schools will only receive up to $2,750:
- $1,000 after the initial event is conducted (January 15 through March 15).
- $1,000 more after the initial event has been completed.
- $750 for events specifically targeted to community college students.
The event must take place within your local area or state.
LSAC does not reimburse for events that take place out of state.
- The Law School Admission Council must be acknowledged in all materials. For example: Sponsored by the Law School Admission Council as part of DiscoverLaw.org Months.
- Students should be encouraged to either sign up at DiscoverLaw.org or fill out DiscoverLaw.org Contact Cards (PDF). (100 percent participation is the goal.)
- Plan to present the DiscoverLaw.org PowerPoint (PPTX) as part of your program.
- The program must not be connected with efforts to recruit students entering your law school.
- Submit final Report and Reimbursement Form within 30 days after your activity.
Benefits to Your Law School
- Widespread promotion of your law school's diversity outreach programs.
- Access to free DiscoverLaw.org promotional items to raise awareness for your event.
- Opportunity for your law school to extend its programmatic budget.
- Program funding up to $2,750.
- Travel (buses, tokens)
- Printing (agendas, programs)
LSAC reserves the right to refuse to reimburse programs or law schools that are not compliant with any DiscoverLaw.org Months guidelines.
- Events that take place outside of your law school's state.
- Payments made to law school faculty or staff (honoraria, plane tickets, hotel parking, etc.).
- Payments made to student organizations.
- Tickets to attend banquets or to purchase a table at a banquet.
- Table space at local festivals or community events.
- T-shirts, bags, or any other items with just the law school's logo (unless it will also have the LSAC and DiscoverLaw.org logos).
- Prizes or awards for student attendees.
- Event Form: Use this form to submit all of your DiscoverLaw.org Months events.
NOTE: Events are posted approximately 7–10 business days after being approved.
Photo and Video Release Forms
NEW for 2013! Authorized photos and videos of DiscoverLaw.org Months events at law schools will be used on our website, as well as our Facebook and Twitter accounts. If you plan to take photos and videos and submit them to LSAC, these forms will be required from each attendee.
Report and Reimbursement Form
NEW for 2013! For your convenience, we will send you the Report and Reimbursement Form via e-mail the day after your event. If you do not receive it, please contact DiscoverLaw@LSAC.org.
- Contact Card Spreadsheet (XLS): For your convenience, we have created this spreadsheet, which you can use to submit information from the contact cards. The spreadsheet can be uploaded directly to the Report and Reimbursement Form. Otherwise, scan all of your contact cards and upload them to the Report and Reimbursement Form as one PDF file.
Please e-mail DiscoverLaw@LSAC.org with any questions or suggestions you may have about the DiscoverLaw.org campaign.